Baked pasta with broccoli and a plethora of cheese. This baked pasta is a hearty meal! The ultimate in comfort food!
A quick and easy recipe, the pasta is tossed with a light Pomodoro salsa, broccoli, and plenty of cheese. Everyone will enjoy this baked pasta, which will quickly become one of the season's favorites.
I love putting the pasta in the oven ahead of time and having it ready in just a few minutes before sitting down to eat! It's simple to make during the week and ideal for Thanksgiving or Christmas celebrations.
Are you looking for more baked Pasta recipes Baked Pasta with Eggplant and my Baked Pennette with Pancetta and Scamorza or Baked Pasta with Zucchini, Provola and Mozzarella
What makes this recipe great
None can refuse a Baked Pasta dish.
It’s easy to prepare and it's healthy.
It's just the ultimate comfort food
You can easily make it ahead.
- Pasta: any shape of short pasta will be perfect. Personally, I like to use pasta like shells, half sleeves, fusilli
- Tomato Sauce: Tomato puree is perfect
- Broccoli: This recipe calls for medium broccoli. Attention: do not remove the stem, the carefully peeled one is also used.
- Cheese: This baked pasta recipe uses three types of cheese: Mozzarella, Sweet or Smoked Provola and Parmesan.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and sauté the garlic until golden, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Pour in the tomato sauce, season with salt and pepper, and cook, covered, for 10 minutes over low heat.
Remove the broccoli's woody end, divide the flowers, and peel and slice the stem.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes less what is written in the packaging.
Six minutes before the shells are done, add the broccoli. Drain both and combine them in the same pan, followed by the tomato sauce and half of the Parmesan.
Cut the mozzarella into cubes.
Grease a pan and pour a layer of pasta into a pan, arrange the Scamorza cheese on top, another layer of pasta, mozzarella and the remaining parmesan.
Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve your delicious baked pasta !!!!
Substitutions & Variations
- Pasta - Choose whole wheat pasta if you want a healthier solution, brown rice has more nutrients and is more satisfying than white one. Use any gluten-free pasta of your choice
- Tomato Sauce - diced canned tomato tomatoes also work
- Provola cheese - Provola can be replaced with Scamorza or Fontina
- Spicy - add more chili pepper flakes or smoked paprika to imbue heat into the dish
Refrigerate leftovers in a hermetic container for up to 3 days.
Leftovers can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Heat in the microwave or, alternatively, in an oven lined with aluminum foil to prevent drying.
If you want to proceed with your Christmas preparations, make your Pasta al Forno with Broccoli and Cheese ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator or freezer.
Frequently asked question
Even if frozen broccoli is easier I don't recommend it. Fresh broccoli is much more crispy at the end.
Any type of short pasta will work well in this recipe
Yes, it’s important to cook the pasta for 4-5 minutes less than what is written on the packaging.
Yes, this is perfect to freeze. Put it in the casserole and cover with tin foil. Freeze up to 3 months.
Recipes you might enjoy:
I'd like to know what you think. Also, if you make this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram! To stay updated with the newest recipes, follow me on Pinterest and join my email list.
Broccoli Baked Pasta Recipe
- 250 gr Shells
- 400 ml tomato sauce
- 1 medium sized broccoli
- 200 gr Mozzarella cheese
- 100 gr Sliced smoked Provola cheese
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 30 gr grated Parmesan cheese
- chili pepper
- sea salt
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet and fry the garlic. Cook it until softened and golden, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Pour into the tomato sauce, season with salt and red chilli pepper and cook for 10 minutes, covered, over a low heat.
- Trim the broccoli woody stem ends with a knife. Divide into small florets, peel and slice the thicker stem.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 4-5 minutes less what is written in the packaging. Add the broccoli 6 minutes before the conchiglie are ready.
- Drain them and tip back into the same pan, then add the tomato sauce, half of the Parmesan and toss well.
- Now cut the Mozzarella into cubes.
- Grease a pan, pour a layer of pasta into a pan, arrange the Scamorza cheese on top, another layer of pasta, mozzarella and the remaining parmesan.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden on top.
- Serve your delicious Baked Pasta!!!!
Leave a Reply