This vegan asparagus soup is so rich, thick and creamy. The delicate flavor of asparagus meets that of green tea and mint.
Such a light asparagus cream, perfect for this season
This week I felt inspired by asparagus, fresh, light and nutritious. Of all the ways to enjoy asparagus, the asparagus cream is one of my favorites. A perfect way to best capture the flavors of this typical spring vegetable.
For the creamy vegan asparagus soup, I used potatoes instead of cream and for an aromatic and spicy note, I added green tea.
A creamy soup can only be enjoyed in winter? Of course not! This soup is so fresh and nutritious, ideal to savor in mild temperatures.
For our creamy soup, we start with a base of shallots fried in olive oil. Add the asparagus stems into slices, diced potatoes and water. I flavored green tea, with salt and pepper. After about 10/15 minutes of boiling, the soup is ready and all that remains is to purée it with the mixer.
I roasted the asparagus tips in a pan with a little oil before adding them to the soup because they further enhance its delicacy and flavor.
I sprinkled some yogurt for extra flavor, but you can omit it if you prefer.
It is perfect to be prepared in advance and heated just before serving.
Storage: keep the cream in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a maximum of ¾ days
Recipes you might enjoy:
Creamy Asparagus Soup with Green Tea
- 1 kg. green asparagus
- 2 medium potatoes about 500 gr.
- 600 ml. broth or water
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots
- green tea in a sachet
- salt and pepper
- mint a few leaves
To Garnish (optional)
- Clean the asparagus by removing the white part. Separate the asparagus stalks from the tops and keep them aside.
- Peel the hardest part of the stems with a potato peeler and cut into rings.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes.
- Peel the shallot and slice it finely.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan and fry the shallot for a few minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add the diced potatoes and the asparagus stalks into rounds, sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes so that they flavor. Salt, pepper and mix so that they do not stick.
- Pour in the water, add the green tea then bring to a boil and cook over medium heat for 10/15 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a non-stick pan and brown the asparagus tips for a few minutes. Season with salt.
- Remove from heat, purée the vegetables with an immersion blender. Blend until you have reached a creamy and smooth consistency.
- Depending on the desired consistency, add hot water, then pour your soup into the bowls. Complete with the asparagus tips kept aside.
- Garnish to taste with a few leaves of mint, yogurt, parsley.
- Serve immediately.