Fruit Crostata (Tart)
Servings: 10 slices
- Fluted Tart tin with removable base 23 cm (9-inch)
- Food Processor or Stand Mixer Rolling
- Pin Sharp Knife
- Medium Bowl
- Lemon Zester Grate
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH:
- 150 gr. Butter chilled and diced
- 300 gr. Plain flour
- 150 gr. sugar
- 1 large free-range egg 2 small
- 1 vanilla extract
- 6 gr. baker powder
- a pinch of salt
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRÈME PATISSIERE:
- 400 gr. full fat milk
- 100 gr. free-range egg yolk
- 100 gr. cream
- 200 gr. caster sugar
- 23 gr. cornflour
- 20 gr. rice starch
- 1 vanilla pod seeds removed and pod retained
INGREDIENTS FOR THE TOPPING:
- 2 kiwis
- 1 banana
- 250 strawberries
- 250 gr wild berries
- 1 peach
- Rub the butter into the sugar. Chop the butter into small cubes, then process with the sugar in a food processor or planetary for a few minutes until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. If you don’t have a food processor gently work the butter into the sugar with your finger.
- Work in the egg, then add the vanilla extract, then salt and pulse for a few minutes.
- Add flour. Add one spoon at a time the sifted flour and baking powder and work until the dough starts to clump together, but don’t work it too much.
- Refrigerate the dough. Turn the dough to a lightly floured surface and form into a ball, then cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Roll out the dough. Take the dough out of the fridge and roll it out on a lightly floured surface into a circle, reserving some dough aside for the lattice.
- Prepare dough in the tart tin. Roll the dough up around the rolling pin and unroll it into a greased and floured 23cm tart pan.
- Refine the EdgeTrim the edges of the pastry with a knife or rolling over the rolling pin.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C°.
- Blind Bake Prick the pastry case with a fork, then line it with baking paper and ceramic or dried beans and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove beans and baking paper and put the tart in the oven for further 15 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
- Pour the milk and vanilla zest into a heavy-based pan and bring gradually to the boil (just boiling).
- Whisk together the egg yolks, in a medium bowl, caster sugar until pale, then whisk in the cornflour, the rice starch and vanilla seeds. Remove the zest from the milk and pour into the egg mixture. When the milk brings back to the boil, whisk continuously with a whip.
- Bring back to the boil, whisking continuously with a whip over a medium heat and cook until thickened. Pour the creme into a bowl. Cover the surface with cling film so that the clingfilm sits directly on the crème (to prevent a skin forming) and leave to cool. Put into the fridge to chill.
- To assemble the tart, spoon the cold crème pâtissière into a piping bag (or alternatively you can use a pallet knife or a spoon) and pipe into the pastry cases.
- Topping. For the fruit topping, slice banana, peach, strawberries and kiwis, then arrange all fruit over the top.
- Chill in the fridge until needed.